Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Remembering the Past

Every once and a while I remember to check an old email account that is from my "former life" as a Teacher, literacy coach, and member of Courage to Teach. When I even do this I first have to forgive myself for closing the door and keeping all that I learned during those years locked away. I've learned so many things as I embarked on my career in Real Estate, but I somehow have struggled and failed miserably to successfully integrate those two lives. So, when I checked the email account today I came across a news letter from the director at The Center for Courage and renewal. Below are some very important words I want to share with you from that news letter. I wish I were as eloquent. May you take them to heart and make today a better day for someone by being trustworthy.

May the Circle Be Unbroken: Extending the Reach of Circles of Trust
Marcy in greenby Co-Director Marcy Jackson

In one of my favorite poems -- "The Seven of Pentacles" -- Marge Piercy writes:

Connections are made slowly, sometimes they grow underground.
You cannot tell always by looking what is happening.
More than half a tree is spread out in the soil under your feet.

Our work with the Circle of Trust ® approach has borne this out. Building trust and relationships in order to hold conversations about things that matter takes time as well as intentionality, deep listening, and self-awareness. And yet we also know that connections can be made quickly, almost instantaneously under the right circumstances -- as when we "recognize" a kindred spirit, a fellow traveler or a worthy adversary through their presence, reflections or ideas.

No comments: